Head, Industrial Applications, Transport
Radiological Safety Division
Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
Niyamak Bhavan, Anushaktinagar
Mumbai – 400 094 (INDIA)
Please note about the recent recent incident of radiation injury and lesson to learn from the incident during Radiography Inspection.
- An UNTRAINED worker was engaged by a company to use Radiography Camera having 30 Ci of Ir-192 Source.
- The person was neither radiographer nor trainee, so no knowledge of radiation safety.
- NO TLD badges / NO SURVEY METER / NO POCKET DOSIMETER was given to the worker.
- The pigtail along with the radioactive source was decoupled in the guide tube.
- The worker noticed it only when he removed guide tube for storage of the camera.
- He picked up the source by hand and put it back to the camera.
- Photograph of his right hand is attached for your information.
LESSON TO LEARN
- Never engage unqualified workers to handle radiation sources/devices.
- Even do not allow 'Trainee Radiographer' without supervision of qualified worker.
- Always after each exposure ensure that the source is inside the camera by using a survey meter.
- Digital pocket dosimeter with beep alarm is very useful during radiography.
- Follow all radiation safety procedures during radiography.
IT CAN HAPPEN WITH ANY RADIOGRAPHER.
SO BE CAUTIOUS WHILE HANDLING RADIATION SOURCES.